Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Chairs of Catonsville

The Chairs of Catonsville

The 4th of July Chairs on Frederick Rd appeared, to my observation, the Saturday before July 4th. One week seems a reasonable amount of time since in previous years I can recall their arrival 10 days prior, and once, 2 full weeks in advance of the 4th. After a brief exchange of letters in the Catonsville Times, debating the appropriate amount of time for the chairs to sit on Frederick Rd, a sort of self policing took effect and reasonable minds returned to 1 week to 10 days.

This phenomenon is common place to Catonsvillians, but lost on outsiders. This week I was greeted at my office in Ellicott City by irritated comments like “What’s with the chairs on the side of the road?’ and “Those people should get a life.” Why does this harmless event bother people so?

I myself find it charming. Since I generally arrive at the parade about 2:30pm and perch my family comfortably on the curb, the “reservists” don’t bother me. When I see the chairs, I am reminded it is time to break out my red, white and blue decorations. The fact that the chairs can sit on Frederick Rd for at least a week, remaining for the most part unharmed or stolen, renews my faith in human nature. The fact that others have confidence leaving their chairs, reminds me that others have that faith too. I watch the people who wait at the bus stops, “living large” for a week, relaxing in nice lawn chairs. These thought make me smile as I drive down Frederick Rd. It is part of the seasons of Catonsville.

I was in Arbutus on Monday. There were no chairs along the parade route, building the excitement and expectation, like stockings hung by the fireplace awaiting Santa. It is part of the anticipation that makes the 4th of July in Catonsville special.

No comments:

Catonsville's Favorite Blog

Welcome to Catonsville's Blog, featuring news about town, feature stories and Things To Do.